Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kayaking the Shallotte River

      In January, my husband and I rented a house in the Florida Keys right on the Gulf of Mexico for a week.  The home was a big splurge for us, but well deserved since I had not been on vacation for 2 years.  The home came with two kayaks for guests, and Hank and I very much enjoyed tooling around in the calm, beautiful waters outside the home. I think it was right then and there that my husband decided he had to have a kayak.  Hank is a man who likes to enjoy life...and he has the toys to prove it!        
     Once back home in Shallotte, NC, everyday Hank was on the computer, researching the different types, specifications and prices.  Let's say, when he wants something, he just doesn't stop until he gets it and for three months there was not a day that went by that Hank did not mention the word kayak!  That's what he does, he wears me down.  Sound familiar???
  "Kayaking would be something we could do together", he said - that's always important.   It would also be a form of exercise that we would actually enjoy doing because we'd be doing it on the water - something we love.  Another big plus, as far as I was concerned, was that kayaks don't have motors so they can't break down, they do not require a registration or insurance, or gas for that matter -  all good things,  I agreed to the purchase!  
     As mentioned, Hank had spent the last 3 months researching the subject (he's retired and has too much time on his hands) and was ready to go as soon as I said the word. We made the purchase which was a bit hefty for my taste, but I must say, I am loving it.  We got the kayaks in May and have gone for rides in the Intracoastal Waterway a couple of times.  While that was a lot of fun, dealing with the tide and currents, and the wakes from boats and jet skis speeding by, was a little challenging but I didn't mind that too much - it was a good workout.
Hank on the Shallotte River
      What I really enjoy, though, is kayaking the Shallotte River.  There is something about being able to navigate the small river streams where only fish can go that is so exciting, yet so relaxing.  We fished the river and although we had no luck, we had a spectacular time.  In the kayak, everything is at your fingertips - it has to be.  So when I wanted to fish in a spot for awhile, I just reached for my little anchor and dropped it in; cast my fishing pole and hoped for a bite.  I saw fish jumping around me, egrets and herons in the marsh grass and I know I want to go back and really try to get proficient at it...and maybe even catch some fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment