Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Less-Than-Perfect Home Inspections

In looking out for my buyer clients, I wholeheartedly believe in and always advise them to have a home inspection - even if it is not required.  As a buyer, it is your right to know that the home you are buying is safe, has no health issues, is structurally sound and without major defects, or at least,  know what they are.  But as I'm guiding my clients through the sales process closer to the home inspection, I say a little prayer that the home inspection won't derail the transaction for the wrong reasons. 

What do I mean by that?  Home inspections are pretty comprehensive and to limit liability, a home inspector will cite deficiencies in the home, no matter how small.  Of course, when the buyers read the report and look at the summary, unless they were actually present at the inspection, the technical terminology and number of items noted can scare them into changing their minds.

Inspections can and often do look worse than they really are.  If you want more insight, I always suggest my buyers be present toward the end of the inspection, or that they call or meet with the inspector and go over the items.  In my experience, when buyers have contacted the inspector, they have been reassured that many of the items were minor and can better judge which repairs they want to ask the seller to address.  Unless a home is new, you cannot expect it to be perfect.  Therefore, you need to pick your battles rather than argue over petty items, but you need to know which is which, and talking with the inspector always helps.

Call or email me for contact information for Home Inspectors in our area.
(910) 279.9509 or vicki@sunsetrealty.com

No comments:

Post a Comment